Cornelis Janse Gunter
Academic Qualifications: B.Sc. (Geology & Chemistry), B.Sc. Hons (Geology), M.Sc. (Geology)
- 2014 Supervising seven Masters Degree projects. Two completed and two new, both on Karoo Supergroup geology. Research on newly discovered Karoo deposits.Continuing with full teaching load.
- 2013 Continued teaching and supervision of post graduate students. Including projects of eight Honours students. Termination of two-year contract. New two-year contract offered and accepted for 2014-2015.
- 2012 Supervised seven Masters Degree students. Karoo research group well established.
- 2011 Continued teaching and supervision. Including two Masters Degree students from Malawi and one from Nigeria. Termination of five-year contract. Two-year contract offered and accepted.
- 2010 Supervised 5 Masters Degree students. Karoo research project is well under way. Still teaching a full load of undergraduate and Honours courses: Crystallography, Mineralogy, Mineral Optics, Igneous Petrology (Second Year), Metamorphic Petrology (Third Year), Advanced Mineralogy, Advanced Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology, Drilling for Exploration and Mining, Geological Project Design and Management, Structural Geology (Geology Honours – both Theory and Practical).
- 2009 Chairman: Department of Geology. Temporary until position taken over by other staff member.
- 2008 Head of Department of Geology, University of Fort Hare, South Africa. Acting HOD for first semester only
- 2007 Senior Lecturer in Geology (Five-year contract appointment). A main objective with the current term of appointment is to have the Department established in research on the geology of the Karoo Supergroup and its dolerite intrusions, including sedimentological and provenance interpretation, as a contribution to Gondwana reconstruction.
- Participated in a collaborative China-South Africa project on mining and mineral exploration. Visited several working mines and the Research Institute for Non- metallic Mineral Research in Zhengzhou.
- Currently supervising two masters degree projects on the lithostratigraphy, sedimenetology and provenance of the Beaufort Group (Karoo Supergroup).
- Consolidated business interests with new management and networking partnerships.
- 2006 Senior Lecturer in Geology (One-year contract appointment). Taught a full load of modules in the undergraduate B.Sc.and the B.Sc. Honours courses in Geology.
- Visited a number of Geoparks and other places of geological interest by invitation of Henan Intitute for Science and technology.
- Management and administration of business established in 1996
- 2005 Attended a five-weeks course in Economic Geology and Mineral exploration at the China University of Geosciences (Beijing) and presented an open lecture entitled “Mineral Resources and Geological Exploration – Some Selected Domains in the Republic of South Africa.
- 2001 - 2005 Senior Lecturer in Geology (Part-time contract appointment). Lecturing on part time basis in the Department of Geology at the University of Fort Hare. This arose from a shortage of staff and the sudden increase in student numbers in the Department. Assumed the position of Acting Head of the Department of Geology in 2004, with the view of appointing a permanent Head of Department and which appointment was made in 2005.
- Management of business established in 1996.
- 1997 – 2000 Senior Lecturer in Geology. Continued as permanent Senior Lecturer in Geology after having stepped down as Head of Department after 16 years in that position.
- Continued with field investigations of the Beaufort Group in the Eastern Cape Province.
- Pursued business interests established in 1996 in view of employer’s indications that it might become impossible to fully remunerate staff and of the possibility of staff retrenchments and the possible phasing out of smaller departments.
- Accepted voluntary retrenchment at the end of 2000.
- 1979 – 1996 Head of Department of Geology and Senior Lecturer, University of Fort Hare. Performed all the duties of Head of Department and lectured in the Department of Geology at the University of Forth Hare. Designed all the honours courses offered during those years. Supervised and promoted projects of M.Sc. candidates on the assimilation and contact metamorphic effects of dolerite intrusions in the Eastern Cape Province, and on diatomite deposits in Kwazulu Natal. Undergraduate courses offered included Crystallography, Mineralogy, Sedimentology, South African Geology, Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology, Structural Geology and Economic Geology. Geological field investigations and mapping of the Beaufort Group in the Eastern Cape Province. This work is as yet unpublished.
During this period managed the Electron Microscopy Unit at the University of Fort Hare for approximately five years until a Director was appointed there and, for a period of eight years, served as chairperson of the Faculty of Science’s Estimates Committee repsonsible for preparing the annual budget, making budget allocation to all the departments in the Faculty and monitoring the utilization of funds.
Designed and developed a highly customised computer based, Windows independent, interactive business information management system in Clipper, dBase and FRED (Framework Editor) code. The first version was placed in use in March 1989 and development continued during the following twelve years.
Established own commercial information providing business with implementation of the developed system for that purpose.
1975 – 1978 Senior Lecturer in Geology, University of Fort Hare. Lectured in the Department of Geology and was responsible for arranging all field excursions.
Geological mapping project in the area between Pietermaritzburg and Greytown, Kwazulu Natal with comprehensive report for the Geological Survey of South Africa (now the Council for Geoscience) as part of their geological re- mapping project of the Republic of South Africa. Participated in Departmental project on palaeocurrent analysis of the Beaufort Group in the Eastern Cape Province.
1972 – 1977 Lecturer in Geology, University of Fort Hare. Lectured undergraduate courses in geology. Designed and articipated in offering the honours course in Geology.
Geological mapping with comprehensive report for the Geological Survey of South Africa (now the Council for Geoscience) of the Beaufort Group in the area between Middelburg and Graaff Reinet, Eastern Cape Province, as part of the geological re-mapping of the Republic of South Africa.
Co-author of several publications on Namibian geology.
- 1970 - 1971 Senior Exploration Geologist, Tsumeb Corporation, Namibia. Managed drilling, mapping and geochemical exploration projects of the Kombat exploration branch. Detailed and regional geological mapping to scale ranging from 1: 2000 to 1:50 000.
- 1970 Exploration Geologist, Tsumeb Corporation, Namibia. Several projects involving regional geological mapping and structural analysis. Promoted to Senior Exploration Geologist after three months.
- 1970 Completed Masters Degree in Geology on the structural geology and metamorphic petrology of the Damara Supergroup in the area south of the Messum Complex, Namibia.
- Senior Technical Assistant, Department of Geology, University of the Free State.
- Curation of Mineral collections, X-ray diffraction analysis and administrative work.
- Geological mapping of the Damara Supergroup south of the Messum Complex in the Namib desert of Namibia.
- 1969 Completed B.Sc. Honours Degree in Geology, University of the Free State. Commenced with mapping project on the Damara Supergroup in Namibia.
- 1968 Completed B.Sc. degree with majors in Geology and Chemistry. Other subjects of the degree curriculum: Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics.
OTHER TEACHING ACTIVITIES:
Have arranged and led numerous geological excursions to many parts of South Africa. Given talks and electron microscopy demonstrations to high school science students.
PUBLICATIONS: Several publications on Namibian geology in the Annals of the Geological Survey of South Africa.
Botha, B.J.V., Gunter, C.J., Koornhof, J.C., Die Sisteem Damara in die gebied tussen Uis en Kaap Schoeman, P.J., Tordiffe, E.A.W., & Kruis, Suidwes-Afrika. Ann. Geol. Surv. S. Afr. Vol 9. Van Reenen, D.D. (1971-72)
Botha, B.J.V., Gunter, C.J., Koornhof, J.C., Die Salemgranietgroep in die gebied tussen Uis en Schoeman, P.J., Tordiffe, E.A.W., & Kaap Kruis, Suidwes-Afrika.. Ann. Geol. Surv. S. Afr. Van Reenen, D.D. (1971-72) Vol 9.
Botha, B.J.V., Gunter, C.J., Schoeman, Die voor-Damaragesteentes in die gebied suid van & Van Reenen. D.D. (1971-72) Brandberg, Suidwes-Afrika Ann. Geol. Surv. S. Afr. Vol 9.
UNPUBLISHED PROJECT REPORTS for Mining Companies in Namibia (Tsumeb Corporation Limited) and Mozambique (Central African Mining and Exploration Company) and for the Geological Survey of South Africa.
RECENT AND CURRENT RESEARCH
Mapping, Stratigraphy, Sedimentology and Provenance of the Beaufort Group in a large area of the Eastern Cape Province. Unpublished as yet.
“Contact Metamorphic and Assimilation Erffects of Selected Dolerite Intrusions in the Estern Cape Province” by N van Averbeke,
“Sedimentology and Economic Significance of Diatomite Deposits on the Kwa- Zulu Natal Coast” by J Beckering-Vinckers. Completed.
and “Lithostratigraphy, Sedimentology and Provenance of the Balfour Formation (Beaufort Group – Karoo Supergroup) in the Estern Cape Province” by D Katemaunzanga.
“Sedimentary Environments and Provenance of the Balfour Formation (Beaufort Group) in the Adelaide-Bedford Area of the Eastern Cape Province” by M Oghonekome.
Mineralogy and economic significance of pegmatites in Malawi by J W Salima.
Six projects on Karoo sedimentology (of which one in Malawi) and one economic geology project in Zimbabwe.
Sport - Rugby and Tennis (previously), squash (until recently), golf (previously and again currently). Photography. History. Literature.