Professor Rais Latypov
Rais Latypov is graduated from the Department of Mineralogy of the Leningrad State University, Russia in 1991 and subsequently gained Academic degree of Candidate of Science in Geology and Mineralogy from Institute of Geology and Geochronology of Precambrian, Russia, in 1995 and then a PhD from the University of Oulu, Finland, in 2002. He became an Adjunct Professor in Igneous Petrology, in 2004 and then an Academic Research Fellow at the Department of Geosciences, University of Oulu, Finland, in 2007. He is currently a Professor of Igneous and Ore Petrology at the School of Geosciences, University of Witwatersrand. He is specializing in the field of igneous petrology and especially qualified in the study of the processes of magma differentiation, crystallization and solidification in mafic dykes, dolerite sills and large mafic-ultramafic layered intrusions and related deposits.
Recent peer-reviewed scientific journal articles
- Latypov R. M., Chistyakova S. Yu, & Mukherjee, R. (2017). A novel hypothesis for origin of massive chromitites in the Bushveld Igneous Complex. Journal of Petrology (under review).
- Hunt E. & Latypov, R. (2017). The Merensky Cyclic Unit: reality or a myth? Geological Magazine (under review).
- Latypov R. M., Chistyakova S. Yu, Barnes, S. J. & Hunt, M. (2017). Origin of platinum deposits in layered intrusions by in situ crystallization: evidence from undercutting Merensky Reef of the Bushveld Complex. Journal of Petrology (accepted manuscript).
- Mukherjee, R., Latypov, R. & Balakrishnan, A. (2017). An intrusive origin of some UG-1 chromitite layers in the Bushveld Igneous Complex, South Africa: insights from field relationships. Ore Geology Reviews. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.oregeorev.2017.03.008
- Pebane, M. & Latypov, R. (2017). The significance of magmatic erosion for bifurcation of UG1 chromitite layers in the Bushveld Complex. Ore Geology Reviews. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.oregeorev.2017.02.026.
- Yang S-H, Hanski, E, Li C, Maier W. D, Huhma H, Mokrushin A. V., Latypov R., Lahaye, Y., O’Brien, H. & Qu W-J. (2016). Mantle source of the 2.44–2.50-Ga mantle plume-related magmatism in the Fennoscandian Shield: evidence from Os, Nd, and Sr isotope compositions of the Monchepluton and Kemi intrusions. Mineralium Deposita 51, 1055-1073.
- Latypov R. M., Chistyakova S. Yu, Page A. & Hornsey, R. (2015). Field evidence for the in situ crystallization of the Merensky Reef. Journal of Petrology 12, 2341-2372. doi:10.1093/petrology /egv023.
- Chistyakova S. Yu., Latypov R. M. & Zaccarini, F (2015). Chromitite dykes in the Monchegorsk layered intrusion, Russia: in situ crystallization from chromite-saturated magma flowing in conduits. Journal of Petrology 12, 2395-2424.
- Latypov, R. M. (2015). Basal reversals in mafic sills and layered intrusions. In: Charlier B., Namur, O., Latypov R., Tegner, C. (eds). Layered Intrusions, Springer p. 259-293. (1st Edition ed.). Weteringschans: Springer International Publishing. New York City: Springer. 9401796521, 9789401796521.
- Latypov R., Morse, T. Robins, B., Wilson, J. R., Cawthorn, G., Tegner, C., Holness, M., Lesher, C., Barnes, S., O’Driscoll, B., Veksler, I., Higgins, M. D., Wilson, A., Namur, O., Chistyakova, S., Naslund, H. R., Thy P. (2015) A fundamental dispute: A discussion of “On some fundamentals of igneous petrology” by Bruce D. Marsh, Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology (2013) 166:665–690. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 169, 20. DOI 10.1007/s00410-015-1108-9
- Charlier B., Namur O, Bolle O, Latypov R, Duchesne J-C (2015). Fe-Ti-V-P ore deposits associated with Proterozoic massif-type anorthosites and related rocks. Earth-Science Reviews 141, 56-81.
- Maghdour-Mashhour, R., Esmaeily, D., Shabani, A A. T., Moghadam, H. S. & Latypov R. (2015). Petrology and geochemistry of the Karaj Dam basement sill: implications for geodynamic evolution of the Alborz magmatic belt. Chemie der Erde, 75, 237-260.
- Chistyakova S. Yu. & Latypov R. M. (2014). Adcumulate mafic dykes in layered intrusions: a case study of a late-stage dyke in the Bayantsagaan layered intrusion, Mongolia. Geological Magazine DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0016756814000545 ).
- Latypov, R. (2014). Reply to Comments by Fergus G. F. Gibb and C. Michael B. Henderson on ‘Mafic-Ultramafic Sills: New Insights from M- and S-shaped Mineral and Whole-rock Compositional Profiles’. Journal of Petrology 55, 1015-1017.
- Malitch K. N., Latypov R. M., Badanina, I. Yu., Sluzhenikin, S. F. (2014). Insights into ore genesis of Ni-Cu-PGE sulphide deposits of the Noril’sk Province (Russia): evidence from copper and sulphur isotopes. Lithos 204, 172-187.
- O’Driscoll B., Butcher A. R & Latypov R. (2014). New insights into precious metal enrichment on the Isle of Rum, Scotland. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, The Geologists’ Association & The Geological Society of London, Geology Today, Vol. 30, No. 4, 134-141.
- Egorova V. & Latypov R. M. (2013). An origin of M- and S-shaped mafic-ultramafic sills: new insights from mineral compositions. Journal of Petrology, doi:10.1093/petrology/egt045.
- Latypov R. M., O’Driscoll B. & Lavrenchuk, A. (2013). Towards a model for in situ origin of PGE reefs in layered intrusions: insights from chromitite seams of the Rum Eastern Intrusion, Scotland. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 166, 309-327.
- Latypov R. M. & Egorova, V. (2012). Plagioclase compositions give evidence for in situ crystallization under horizontal flow conditions in mafic sills. Geology, 40, 883-161.
- Chistyakova S. Yu. & Latypov R. M. (2012). Magma differentiation and crystallization in basaltic conduits by two competing petrogenetic processes. Lithos 148, 142-161.
- Egorova V. & Latypov R. M. (2012). Prolonged magma emplacement as a mechanism for the origin of marginal reversal of the Fongen-Hyllingen layered intrusion, Norway. Geological Magazine 53, 1-18.
- Egorova V. & Latypov R. M. (2012). Processes operating during the initial stage of magma chamber evolution: insights from marginal reversal of the Imandra Layered Intrusion, Russia. Journal of Petrology 53, 3-26.
- Malitch K. N. & Latypov R. M. (2011). Re-Os and S-isotope constraints on timing and source heterogeneity of PGE-Cu-Ni sulphide ores: a case study at the Talnakh ore junction (Russia). Canadian Mineralogist 49, 1587- 1611.
- Latypov R. M., Hanski E., Lavrenchuk A., Huhma H. & Havela T. (2011). A “three-increase model” for origin of marginal reversal in the Koitelainen layered intrusion, Finland. Journal of Petrology 52, 733-764.
- Chistyakova S. Yu. & Latypov R. M. (2011a). Primary and secondary chemical zonation in mafic dykes: a case study of the Vochelambina dolerite dyke, Kola Peninsula, Russia. (Ed.) R.K. Srivastava, Dyke Swarms: Keys for Geodynamic Interpretation, DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-12496-9_29, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2011, p. 569-581.
- Chistyakova S. Yu. & Latypov R. M. (2011b). Small dacite dyke, Southern Urals, Russia: rapidly quenched liquid or fine-grained cumulate? (Ed.) R.K. Srivastava, Dyke Swarms: Keys for Geodynamic Interpretation, DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-12496-9_29, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2011, p. 583-601.
- Chistyakova S. Yu. & Latypov R. M. (2010a). On the development of internal chemical zonation in small mafic dykes. Geological Magazine 147, 1-12.