Affiliations: Lecturer at the Department of Earth Science, University of the Western Cape, Bellville, South Africa.
Alexander von Humboldt scholar at the Section 3.5: Interface Geochemistry, GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences.
Contact details: email@example.com
Research keywords: metamorphic and igneous petrology, shear zones, planetary science, impact cratering, accessory minerals, shock deformation, zircon
Short biography: Dr. Elizaveta Kovaleva has completed an MSc degree at the Department of Petrology, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia; and a PhD at the Department of Lithospheric Research, University of Vienna, Austria. She was a postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Geology at the University of the Free State, South Africa, and later served as a senior lecturer at the same department. Currently she is a lecturer at the department of Earth Science, University of the Western Cape. Dr Kovaleva holds a scientific rating from the National Research Foundation (NRF) in the Y category. She is an Alexander von Humboldt scholar and a winner of multiple national and international grants and awards.
List of publications
- Sharygin I.S., Golovin A.V., Tarasov A.A., Dymshits A.M., Kovaleva E., 2021. Confocal Raman spectroscopic study of melt inclusions in mantle xenoliths from Kimberley, South Africa: Evidence for alkali-carbonate melt in mantle beneath Kaapvaal craton. Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, DOI: 10.1002/jrs.6198.
- Kovaleva E., Kusiak M.A., Kenny G.G. Whitehouse M., Habler G., Schreiber A., Wirth R., 2021. Nanoscale investigation of granular neoblastic zircon, Vredefort impact structure, South Africa: evidence for complete melting of zircon. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 565, 116948.
- Clark M.D., Kovaleva E., Huber M.S., Fourie F., Harris C., 2021. Post-impact faulting of the Holfontein Granophyre Dike of the Vredefort Impact Structure, South Africa, inferred from remote sensing, geophysics, and geochemistry. Geosciences, 11(2), 96.
- Kovaleva E., Dixon R., 2020. Properties of impact-related pseudotachylite and associated shocked zircon and monazite in the upper levels of a large impact basin: a case study from the Vredefort impact structure. Minerals, 10(12), 1053.
- Huber M., Kovaleva E., Riller U., 2020. Modeling the geochemical evolution of impact melts in terrestrial impact basins: Vredefort Granophyre Dikes and Sudbury Offset Dikes. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 55, 2320-2337.
- Huber M.S., Kovaleva E., Identifying Gaps in the Investigation of the Vredefort Granophyre Dikes: A Systematic Literature Review. Geosciences, 10(8), 306.
- Kovaleva E., Huber M.S., Dixon R., 2020. Material mixing in shock-induced pseudotachylites, Vredefort impact structure, South Africa. Lithos, 370-371, 105621.
- Kovaleva E., 2020. Textural Identification of Polycrystalline Magmatic, Tectonically-Deformed, and Shock-Related Zircon Aggregates. Minerals, 10(5), 469.
- Kovaleva E., Huber M.S., Habler G., Zamyatin D., 2019. Zircon microstructures record deformation history of shock- and tectonically-generated pseudotachylites: A case study from the Vredefort Impact Structure, South Africa. Journal of Petrology, 60(12), 2529–2546.
- Kovaleva E., Habler G., 2019. Spatial distribution of zircon with shock microtwins in pseudotachylite-bearing granite gneisses, Vredefort impact structure, South Africa. Journal of Structural Geology, 129, 103890.
- Kusiak M.A., Kovaleva E., Wirth R., Klötzli U., Dunkley D.J., Yi K., Lee S., 2019. Lead oxide nanospheres in seismically deformed zircon grains. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 262, 20–30.
- Kovaleva E., Zamyatin D., Habler G., 2019. Granular zircon from Vredefort granophyre (South Africa) confirms the deep injection model for impact melt in large impact structures. Geology, 47, 691–694.
- Fourie F., Huber M.S., Kovaleva E., 2019. Geophysical characterization of the Daskop Granophyre Dyke and surrounding host rocks, Vredefort impact structure, South Africa. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 54, 1579–1593.
- Kovaleva E., Huber M.S., Fourie F., Pittarello L., 2018. Comparative study of pseudotachylite microstructures in mafic and felsic rocks from the Vredefort impact structure, South Africa. Implications for the experimental studies. South African Journal of Geology, 121, 403–420.
- Kovaleva E., Huber M.S., Zaccarini F., 2018. Petrography and geochemistry of coarse-crystalline veins within Vredefort Granophyre, Vredefort Impact Structure, South Africa. South African Journal of Geology, 121, 383–
- Kovaleva E., Huber M.S., Roelofse F., Tredoux M., Praekelt H., 2018. Pseudotachylite vein hosted by a clast in the Vredefort Granophyre: characterization, origin and relevance. South African Journal of Geology, 121, 51–68.
- Kovaleva E., Klötzli U., Wheeler J., Habler G., 2018. Mechanisms of strain accommodation in plastically-deformed zircon under simple shear deformation conditions during amphibolite-facies metamorphism. Journal of Structural Geology, 107, 12–24.
- Kovaleva E., Austrheim H., Klötzli U., 2017. Interpretation of zircon coronae textures from metapelitic granulites of Ivrea-Verbano Zone, Northern Italy: Two-stage decomposition of Fe-Ti oxides. Solid Earth, 8, 789–
- Kovaleva E., Harlov D., Klötzli U., 2017. Complicated secondary textures in zircon record evolution of the host granitic rocks: Studies from Western Tauern Window and Ötztal-Stubai Crystalline Complex (Eastern Alps, Western Austria). Lithos, 284-285, 381–400.
- Kovaleva E., Klötzli U., 2017. NanoSIMS study of seismically deformed zircon: Evidence of Y, Yb, Ce and P re-distribution and resetting of radiogenic Pb. American Mineralogist, 102, 1311–1327.
- Kovaleva E., Klötzli U., Habler G., Huet B., Guan Y., Rhede D., 2017. The effect of crystal-plastic deformation on isotope and trace element distribution in zircon: Combined BSE, CL, EBSD, FEG-EMPA and NanoSIMS study.Chemical Geology, 450, 183–198.
- Kovaleva E., Klötzli U., Habler G., 2016. On the geometric relationship between deformation microstructures in zircon and the kinematic framework of the shear zone. Lithos, 262, 192–212.
- Kovaleva E., Klötzli U., Habler G., Wheeler J., 2015. Planar microstructures in zircon from paleo-seismic zones. American Mineralogist, 100, 1834–1847.
- Kovaleva E., Klötzli U., Habler G., Libowitzky E., 2014. Finite lattice distortion patterns in plastically deformed zircon grains. Solid Earth, 5, 1099–1122.
- Rajesh H.M., Belyanin G.A., Safonov O.G., Kovaleva E.I., Golunova M.A., van Reenen D.D., 2013. Fluid-induced dehydration of the Paleoarchean Sand River biotite–hornblende gneiss, Central Zone, Limpopo Complex, South Africa. Journal of Petrology, 54, 41–74.
- Safonov O.G., Kovaleva E.I., Kosova S.A., Rajesh H.M., Belyanin G.A., Golunova M.A., van Reenen D.D., 2012. Experimental and petrological constraints on local-scale interaction of biotite-amphibole gneiss with H2O-CO2-(K, Na)Cl fluids at middle-crustal conditions: Example from the Limpopo Complex, South Africa. Geoscience Frontiers, 3, 829–841.
- Perchuk L.L., Moiseeva E.I., Belyanin G.A., van Reenen D.D., 2010. High-temperature polymetamorphism in the Central Zone of the Limpopo granulite complex (South Africa): structural and petrologic evidence. Transactions (Doklady) of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Earth Science Sections, 431, 802–807.
- Huber M.S., Kovaleva E., Prevec S., Clark M., 2021. Inhomogeneous distribution of lithic clasts within the Daskop Granophyre dike, Vredefort impact structure: Implications for emplacement of impact melt in large impact structures, inReimold W.U. and Koeberl C. (eds.), Large Meteorite Impacts and Planetary Evolution VI, Geological Society of America Special Paper 550, 10, https://doi.org/10.1130/2021.2550(10).
- Kovaleva E., Zamyatin D., 2021. Revealing microstructural properties of shocked and tectonically deformed zircon from the Vredefort impact structure: Raman spectroscopy combined with BSE, EBSD, EDX, and CL imaging, in Reimold W.U. and Koeberl C. (eds.), Large Meteorite Impacts and Planetary Evolution VI, Geological Society of America Special Paper 550, 18, https://doi.org/10.1130/2021.2550(18).
Comments and letters
- Huber M.S., Kovaleva, E., Microstructural dynamics of central uplifts: Reidite offset by zircon twins at the Woodleigh impact structure, Australia: COMMENT. Geology, 47, e465.
- Kovaleva E., Huber M.S., Roelofse F., Tredoux M., Praekelt H., 2019. Reply to the comment made by W.U. Reimold on “Pseudotachylite vein hosted by a clast in the Vredefort Granophyre: characterization, origin and relevance” by E. Kovaleva et al., South African Journal of Geology, 122, 109–115.